Men's Tennis Falls to North Florida 4-1 at the A-Sun Championship
DeLand, Fla. – The Belmont men's tennis saw their season end Thursday as they fell to North Florida 4-1 in a first round match at the Atlantic Sun Championship held Thursday in DeLand, Florida.
The match started well for the #6 seeded Bruins as they captured two of the three doubles match to earn the first point of the match. At number one, Renato Antun and Rafael Matos defeated Hleb Maslau and Daniel Sotomarino 8-4, while at number three Joao Paoliello and Felipe Cirne Lima came back and beat Leonardo Nahar and Moritz Buerchner 9-7.
In singles, the Ospreys stormed back and picked up wins at the first four matches to clinch the 4-1 victory and advance to the Friday's semifinal match against host Stetson.
The loss ends the season for the Bruins. They finished with an overall record 8-12, 3-7 in the Atlantic Sun.
North Florida 4, Belmont 1
1. Moritz Buerchner (UNF) def. Joao Paoliello (BELM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) def. Renato Antun (BELM) 7-6, 6-0
3. Hleb Maslau (UNF) def. Rodrigo Amaral (BELM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Taylor Albrecht (UNF) def. Rafael Matos (BELM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Leonardo Nahar (UNF) vs. Felipe Cirne Lima (BELM) 6-3, 1-4, unfinished
6. Graham Edgar (UNF) vs. Bruno Silva (BELM) 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
1. Renato Antun/Rafael Matos (BELM) def. Hleb Maslau/Daniel Sotomarino (UNF) 8-4
2. Kurt Gattiker/Taylor Albrecht (UNF) def. Bruno Silva/Jonathan Murrell (BELM) 8-2
3. Joao Paoliello/Felipe Cirne Lima (BELM) def. Leonardo Nahar/Moritz Buerchner (UNF) 9-7
North Florida 18-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,2,3)
2010 A-Sun Championship -- First Round