Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Just Not Enough To Jump the Jaguars

Just Not Enough To Jump  the Jaguars

NASHVILLE, Tenn.- Even with 20 minutes of bonus time, a winner could not be established as the Belmont University men's soccer team (1-5-1) and IUPUI played to a  1-1 draw Friday evening at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.

The Bruins finished with season highs in shots (19), shots on goal (9) and corners (9) and despite several strong chances to score late in the match, could not break through for a victory.

In the 9th minute IUPUI's Jack Zemanski scored off a cross from Emmanuel Usen. Zemanski's shot skidded just past the diving Grayson Rector (Peachtree City, Ga.) Belmont looked to counter quickly, as Joonas Bask (Espoo, Finland)  had a nice scoring chance 30 seconds after but could not get much on his attempt as it bounced and was blocked by the IUPUI defense.

IUPUI tallied the match's first goal just nine minutes in, but from that point forward Belmont served as the aggressor in the contest.

Belmont kicked things into gear and started gaining more scoring chances as time progressed. In the 26th minute, Bask scored his first goal of the season to equalize with the Jaguars. Bask was beneficiary of a heads up pass by teammate Raphael Colmanette (Sao Paulo, Brazil) who fed Bask from the right side of the pitch and the 6'5 senior corralled the ball took a few dribbles and blasted it past the IUPUI keeper.

In the 109th minute after a challenge resulted in an IUPUI foul, Rashad Hyacenth (D'Abadie, Trinidad and Tobago) gained possession after a pass ahead. Hyacenth bounded forward but he got a little too much of the ball and the result was shot high.

Also in the second overtime session, Colmanette had a pair of good looks at a golden goal in the 103rd minute.  After a teammate found Colmanette he ended up with a point blank view of the goal but his shot was too powerful as it cleared the goal. Colmanette tallied another shot just seconds later but it as well was too no avail.

The Bruins had an opportunity in the 86th minute to score again but Hyacenth was unable to beat the IUPUI keeper in a breakaway scenario. Hyacenth separated from the pack, carrying some momentum towards the goal but was not able to get a great handle on the ball thus not getting a solid strike.

After several nice connections and patient passes in the 80th minute, the ball ended up in Nat Hubert's (Chichester, England) possession and his shot was struck well but sailed over the goal.

In 57th minute the Bruins displayed some great passing when Elliot Jones (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Hyacenth executed a give and go but ultimately Jones's point blank shot was saved. The proceeding corner kick resulted in a header that went wide from Hyacenth.

20 players saw action in the contest for the Bruins, as it was a physical affair with several stoppages and injuries.

Senior Anthony Torres (Batavia, Ill.) left the match in the 18th minute after an IUPUI player inadvertently kicked him in the head. The senior who had played all but two minutes heading into the match, returned to start the second half. In the 107th minute Torres and IUPUI's Clint Hoffar collided and play was stopped.

Rector was strong between the pipes all 110 minutes as he picked up three saves and several times stopped IUPUI.

Head Coach Bryan Green finished with his first draw as a collegiate head coach.

Friday's draw snapped a five-game loss streak.

The Bruins return to action Sunday, Sept. 20, when they square off with the Georgia Southern Eagles in a Noon tilt at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.