Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tuesday Showdown

Tuesday Showdown

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont University Men's Soccer Program dropped a 4-2 decision to Furman in a wild game at E.S. Rose Park Tuesday night. 

The Paladins went on the attack, putting a lot of pressure on the Belmont defense early on. In the 6thminute, Furman took a 1-0 lead after a scramble in front of the goal ended in a Paladin goal. Even though the Bruins fell behind early, they locked in and started putting pressure on the Furman defense. 

In the 14thminute, senior Adam Voloder (New South Wales, Australia) put the first shot on target for Belmont, forcing a Paladins save to keep the lead. 

Belmont tied things up in the 35thminute after launching an attack where senior Tony Doellefeld (St. Louis, Mo.) found sophomore Matteo Bennati (Genova, Italy) who took a shot from the left side of the box. His shot found the back of the net ,knotting things up 1-1.  

Sophomore Nicolo Dini (Settala, Italy) made two key saves in the first half, including a big save in the 30thminute when he punched a dangerous header above the crossbar.  

Furman took advantage of the restart and immediately countered and took a 2-1 lead just seconds after Belmont had leveled. The last 10 minutes of the first frame were scoreless and Belmont headed to the locker room at a 2-1 disadvantage.  

After an exciting first half, thigs picked up right where they left off in the second half. 

In the 52ndminute Belmont leveled in an exciting way. Sophomore Nigel Leo (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) dribbled into the box and dished the ball to Voloder who took a shot from the left side of the goal on the end line and found the back of the net from the impossible angle to level things 2-2. 

Just minutes later, Furman earned a free kick in a dangerous position outside the box. A beautiful free kick was on target, but Dini stretched out and made a diving save to keep the Paladin's off the board. 

Belmont nearly took the lead in the 62ndminute when freshman Pablo Martin Virgilio (Madrid, Spain) found space on the right wing. With a defender on his hip, he was dangerous enough for the Furman keeper to come off his line to challenge the shot. Martin Virgilio got a shot off that the Furman keeper got in front of. The rebound off the keeper nearly rolled into the goal, but went just wide. 

After much back and forth action, Furman found the back of the net in the 81stminute to take a late 3-2 lead over the Bruins. With just over four minutes left in the match, Furman took a 4-2 lead after a Furman cross deflected off a Belmont defender and found the back of the net.  

Belmont rocketed 11 shots and put five of those on target while Dini made three saves for the squad.  

Belmont ultimately fell 4-2 to conference foe Furman. The Bruins will be back in action Saturday, October 13 as they travel to UNC Wilmington.