DAYTON, Ohio– The Belmont men's tennis team won its third match of the season, 5-2, against the University of Dayton Friday night in Dayton, Ohio.
The Bruins took an early lead after taking two of the three matches in doubles play. At the No. 1 junior Hendrik Inno and sophomore Marko Illic defeated Jordan Benjamin and Spencer Richey 7-6(5) while the No. 3 team of junior Vincent Sterken and senior Zak Khan defeated the team of Lorenzo Rollhauser and Will Harper 6-4.
In singles, Belmont lost at No. 1 and No. 3 while No. 2 Illic defeated Richey 6-1, 7-6(4). The Bruins then went on to win the bottom three. Sterkens defeated Steven Karl 6-3, 6-2 at the four, Jake Briggs defeated Rollhauser 6-3, 6-4 at the five and Khan defeated Harper 6-2,6-4 at No. 6.
"The doubles point was huge for us," said Director of Tennis Mauricio Antun. "Hendrik and Marko saved four match points and got out of a big hole to get us that point. That gave us a lot of confidence going into singles."
The Bruins (3-1) take on the Xavier University Musketeers Saturday at 3 p.m. CT in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Belmont 5, Dayton 2
1. Jordan Benjamin (DAY) def. Hendrik Inno (BEL) 6-1, 6-3
2. Marko Ilic (BEL) def. Spencer Richey (DAY) - 6-1, 7-6(4)
3. Langford Hills (DAY) def. Joan Valy (BEL) - 6-2, 6-4
4. Vincent Sterkens (BEL) def. Steven Karl (DAY) - 6-3, 6-2
5. Jake Briggs (BEL) def. Lorenzo Rollhauser (DAY) - 6-3, 6-4
6. Zak Khan (BEL) def. Will Harper (DAY) - 6-2, 6-4