CINCINNATI, Ohio– The Belmont men's tennis team won its fourth match of the season, 6-1, against Xavier University Saturday night in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Bruins grabbed an early lead after taking both doubles matches No. 1 and No. 2. At the one spot, junior Hendrik Inno and sophomore Marko Illic defeated Brett Winters and Jake Dykema 6-2 while the No. 2 team of senior Joan Valy and Jake Briggs defeated Xavier's Connor LaFavre and Matthew Graft 6-3. No. 3 doubles went unfinished.
In singles, Belmont won five of the six matches, giving Belmont the win. Inno defeated Winters 6-2, 7-5; Illic defeated Dykema 7-5, 4-6, 1-0(7); Valy won 6-2, 6-4 against Graft; senior Vincent Sterkens defeated LaFavre 6-2, 6-4 and junior Zak Khan defeated Michael Lee 0-6, 7-5, 1-0(6).
"We started off a little slow in doubles but managed to get back on top quickly after a few close games," Director of Tennis Mauricio Antun said. "We definitely have a lot of areas to improve from these past couple matches, but I am happy with the final result. At the end of the day we came off with a win against a good team."
UP NEXT- WRIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY
The Bruins finalize their weekend of play at Wright State Sunday Morning. In the 2017-18 season, the Raiders had a 13-12 record and are currently 1-1 for the 2018-19 spring season.
First serve against Wright State is at 9 a.m. CT in Dayton, Ohio.
Belmont 6, Xavier 1
1. Hendrik Inno (BEL) def. Brett Winters (XAVIER) 6-2, 7-5
2. Marko Ilic (BEL) def. Jack Dykema (XAVIER) – 7-5, 4-6, 1-0(7)
3. Joan Valy (BEL) def. Matthew Graft (XAVIER) - 6-2, 6-4
4. Vincent Sterkens (BEL) def. Connor LaFavre (XAVIER) - 6-2, 6-4
5. Jan Vrab (XAVIER) def. Jake Briggs (BEL) - 6-2, 4-6, 1-0(5)
6. Zak Khan (BEL) def. Michael Lee (XAVIER) - 0-6, 7-5, 1-0(6)