DAYTON, Ohio– The Belmont men's tennis team lost 4-3 against Wright State University Sunday afternoon in Dayton, Ohio.
The Raiders grabbed an early lead against the Bruins winning both No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Theo Bourghelle and Donovan Towers-Cellupica defeated Joan Valy and Jake Briggs 6-4 at the two, while the team of Leighton Brandon and Fernando Nardello defeated Zak Khan and David Faulkner 6-4 at the three. The No. 1 match went unfinished.
In singles, Belmont won matches at the No. 2, No. 4 and No.5 spots falling just short of the win. At two, Marko Illic defeated Lorenzo Maccarini 7-5, 6-4; Vincent Sterkens defeated William Morton 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4 and Briggs won 6-3, 6-2 against Brandon.
The Bruins will be back for a home court match against Furman on February 2. First serve is set for 4 p.m. at Centennial Sportsplex.
Belmont 3, Wright State 4
1. Param Pun (WSU) def. Henrick Inno (BEL) 1-6, 6-1, 7-6(1)
2. Marko Ilic (BEL) def. Lorenzo Maccarini (WSU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Javier Alvarez de la Villa (WSU) def. Joal Valy (BEL) 7-6(1), 3-6, 6-4
4. Vincent Sterkens (BEL) def. William Morton (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jake Briggs (BEL) def. Leighton Brandon (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Theo Bourghelle (WSU) def. Zak Khan (BEL) 6-4, 6-3
1. Param Pun/Lorenzo Maccarini (WSU) v Henrick Inno/Marko Illic (BEL) 6-6, unfinished
2. Theo Bourghelle/Donovan Towers-Cellupica (WSU) def. Joan Valy/Jake Briggs (BEL) 6-4
3. Leighton Brandon/Fernando Nardello (WSU) def. Zak Kahn/David Faulkner (BEL) 6-4