NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont men's tennis team fell to Vanderbilt 6-0 in a match played indoors on Sunday afternoon at the Currey Tennis Center in Nashville.
The Commodores earned the doubles point by winning at the #2 and #3 positions. The Bruins did get a win at #1 as #32 ranked duo of junior Hendrik Inno and sophomore Marko Ilic defeated Cameron Klinger and Billy Rowe 7-5.
In singles, Vanderbilt swept all five matches that were contested, through two of them went three sets. At position #1, Ilic lost the first set to Klinger 6-3, came back to win the second set 6-4, but ultimately fell in the third set tiebreaker. Then at #5, Marcus Ferreira took the first set from Jake Briggs 6-3, before the Georgia native came back to win the second set 4-6. However, Briggs could not sustain the momentum and fell in the third set 6-3.
The men's tennis team (4-6) returns to the court this Saturday as they host South Alabama at 2:00pm indoors at Centennial Sportsplex.
Vanderbilt 6, Belmont 0
1. Cameron Klinger (VANDY) def. Marko Ilic (BELM) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (0-6)
2. George Harwell (VANDY) def. Joan Valy (BELM) 7-5, 6-2
3. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) def. Zak Khan (BELM) 6-3, 7-6
4. Billy Rowe (VANDY) def. Vincent Sterkens (BELM) 6-3, 6-3
5. Marcus Ferreira (VANDY) def. Jake Briggs (BELM) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
6. Panu Virtanen (VANDY) vs. David Faulkner (BELM) 6-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,2,3,1,5)