NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont men's tennis team snapped their seven match losing streak as they defeated Lipscomb 6-1 in a match played indoors Saturday night at the Centennial Sportsplex.
The Bruins took the early 1-0 lead as they won two of the three doubles matches. At two, seniors Zak Khan and Joan Valy defeated Pedro Uribe and Jorge Ortegon in a tiebreaker 7-6. Then at three, sophomore Grant Kelly and junior Vincent Sterkens outlasted Jake Penny and Michael Tougher 7-6. The match at number one was unfinished since the points had been determined.
In singles, Belmont won four of the six matches to clinch the victory over the visiting Bisons. Junior Henrik Inno won at position one with a three set victory over Victor Chaw 6-3, 4-6, 6-2. Then Valy won in straight sets over Jorge Ortegon 7-5, 6-3. The victory was sealed when sophomore Marko Ilic won at number two over Pablo Caffarena in three sets and Sterkens beat Penny at number four in straight sets.
This marks Belmont's first win over Lipscomb since the 2011-12 season.
The men's tennis team (5-8) will be back on the court this Friday as they play at North Alabama. The match is set for 3:00pm in Florence.
Belmont 5, Lipscomb 2
1. Hendrik Inno (BELM) def. Victor Chaw (LU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Marko Ilic (BELM) def. Pablo Caffarena (LU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Joan Valy (BELM) def. Jorge Ortegon (LU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Pedro Uribe (LU) def. Zak Khan (BELM) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Vincent Sterkens (BELM) def. Jake Penny (LU) 6-3, 6-4
6. David Skrabut (LU) def. Jake Briggs (BELM) 6-1, 7-5