NASHVILLE, Tenn.– The Belmont men's tennis team lost to Jacksonville State University 4-3 in Jacksonville, Ala. Saturday afternoon.
The Gamecocks grabbed a 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point with wins at positions two and three. Guillermo Agost and Jordi Blanchar defeated Joan Val and Zak Khan 6-3 at No. 2, while Joaquin Vallejo and Alexander Vishnevskiy def. Grant Kelly and Vincent Sterkens 7-5 at three. Hendrik Inno and Marko Ilic defeated Aljaz Kaplja and Sergio Lizarraga 6-3 in No. 1 doubles.
In singles, JSU posted wins at positions three, four, and six to clinch the 4-3 match victory. Belmont took wins at the one, two and five spots. Inno defeated Kaplja 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 at one. Ilic defeated Vallejo 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 at two, while Sterkens took the win at five defeating Lizarraga 6-4, 6-4.
The Bruins (8-9, 1-1) continue the weekend stretch of matches with a home date against UAB Sunday afternoon. First serve is set for 12 p.m. at Centennial Sportsplex
Jacksonville State 4, Belmont 3
1. Hendrik Inno (BELM) def. KAPLJA, Aljaz (JSUM) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Marko Ilic (BELM) def. VALLEJO, Joaquin (JSUM) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. AGOST, Guillermo (JSUM) def. Joan Valy (BELM) 6-1, 6-1
4. VISHNEVSKIY, Alexand (JSUM) def. Zak Khan (BELM) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Vincent Sterkens (BELM) def. LIZARRAGA, Sergio (JSUM) 6-4, 6-4
6. BLANCHAR, Jordi (JSUM) def. Jake Briggs (BELM) 6-3, 6-4