BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – For a second straight meet, Belmont University throwers shined and senior Matt Edwards set a personal record in the 3,000 meters as the Bruins closed out the Samford Invitational on Saturday at the Birmingham CrossPlex.
Edwards (Glamorgan, Wales) ran to second in the 3K distance race in 8:28.14, a second better than the time he put up at Vanderbilt's Commodore Invitational a week earlier. He was less than 1.5 seconds off the winning pace.
Meanwhile, Corey Claiborne (Alpharetta, Ga.) continued his strong junior campaign in winning his second shot put event of the season. His throw of 15.81 meters (51-10.5) bested the field by more than 2 feet. His teammates – freshman Cal Widener (Elmhurst, Ill.) and junior Stephen Gibson (Tuscola, Ill.) – weren't far behind in third and fourth place, respectively.
"Great showing in the shot today for our guys," Belmont Associate Head Track and Field Coach Cameron Harvey said. "They're really responding to (Assistant Coach Joe) Frye and his training."
Back on the track, senior Matthew Blivin (Durham, N.C.) added another top-three finish with a 4:19.12 in the mile. That was good enough for third. Junior Declan McManus (Worcestershire, England) finished fifth in that race.
The Bruins also had a top-four finish in the relay. The unit's 3:20.83 is its best 1,600-meter time so far this season.
"The season is starting to take shape and I'm glad to see that we are going in the right direction," Harvey said. "We have two weeks until our next meet and we'll definitely be taking advantage of the extra time on the track."
Belmont won't compete again this month. Part of the team will hit the track at Notre Dame's Meyo Invitational on Feb. 2-3, while the rest sticks closer to home at the Middle Tennessee State Invite in Murfreesboro.
BELMONT MEN'S RESULTS
11. Ryan Lipe, jr. — 8.67
18. Drake Mitchell, so. — 9.07
29. Ryan Teague, so. — 7.15
34. Hayden Stover, fr. — 7.20
38. Seth Randall, so. — 7.30
3. Matthew Blivin, sr. — 4:19.12
5. Declan McManus, jr. — 4:24.16
8. Ben Weisel, jr. — 4:30.32
7. Nate Nammour, jr. — 49.00
41. Christian Crenshaw, sr. — 52.68
2. Matt Edwards, sr. — 8:28.14*
7. Chase Ballard, jr. — 8:51.53
14. Taylor Vroon, fr. — 9:05.48*
9. Ben Weisel, jr. — 1:57.03
11. Matthew Blivin, sr. — 1:59.21
12. Christian Gonzales, so. — 1:59.41*
11. Drake Mitchell, so. — 6.20m (20-4.25)
1. Corey Claiborne, jr. — 15.81m (51-10.5)
3. Cal Widener, fr. — 15.08m (49-5.75)
4. Stephen Gibson, jr. — 14.79m (48-6.25)
-- Drake Mitchell, so. — NH
-- Ryan Lipe, jr. — NH