ATLANTA, Ga. – For the second time in two weeks, Corey Claiborne bested the field to claim first place in the shot put and lead the way for the Belmont University men's track and field team Friday.
A week after setting the school record in the shot put, Claiborne (Alpharetta, Ga.) followed up with a nearly as impressive throw of 17.14 meters (56-3) at the Georgia Tech Invitational.
"To see Corey hit over 17 meters two weeks in a row is really promising," said Belmont Assistant Track Coach Joe Frye. "It takes an army to win a conference championship, and the more guys we have doing their jobs like Corey is in the shot, the better our chances are of putting something special together as a team."
Claiborne broke his own school record by throwing 17.42 at last week's Austin Peay Governors Invitational.
Freshman Cal Widener (Elmhurst, Ill.) and junior Kaden Eaton (Columbus, Ind.) each pulled in fourth-place finishes, Widener in the shot put and Eaton with a big personal record in the 5,000 meters. Eaton's time of 14:29.32 cut more than 12 seconds off his previous best and led a group of three Bruins with PRs in the race.
The Georgia Tech Invitational continues on Saturday while a handful of Bruins are also competing at Auburn's War Eagle Invitational that same day.
The Ohio Valley Conference Outdoor Championships will be contested May 10-12 at Cookeville, Tenn.
BELMONT MEN'S RESULTS
27. Seth Randall, so. — 11.19
16. Anthony Didion, jr. — 3:58.58
22. Christian Gonzales, so. — 4:00.13*
4. Kaden Eaton, jr. — 14:29.32* (12 seconds)
14. Chase Ballard, jr. — 14:55.03
15. Daniel White, fr. — 14:55.99*
27. Jackson Vroon, fr. — 15:17.04*
5. Matthew Blivin, sr. — 9:25.24
23. Alex Miller, so. — 15.45
24. Drake Mitchell, so. — 15.53
-- Caleb Corprew, sr. — DNS
1. Corey Claiborne, jr. — 17.14m (56-3)
4. Cal Widener, fr. — 15.82m (51-11)
6. Stephen Gibson, jr. — 14.82m (48-7.5)*
7. Corey Claiborne, jr. — 48.40m (158-9)
8. Stephen Gibson, jr. — 48.19m (158-1)
7. Matt Walker, sr. — 50.10m (164-4)
9. Ryan Lipe, jr. — 6.57m (21-6.75)*