HUNTINGTON, W. Va -- The Belmont Bruins finished in 3rd place at the Thundering Herd Invitational hosted by Marshall University.
It was an extremely solid day for the Bruins, and it was a team performance that was praised by Directory of Cross Country and Track & Field: Jeff Langdon as he addressed the team on the bus ride back to Nashville, in which he told the Bruins they gave "a good team effort."
The main story of the day for the men's side was the field events, in which Belmont won three different field events and finished in the Top 3 in all of the field events that they competed in.
Sophomore Cal Widener had a brilliant performance in the meet, as he finished first in the Shot Put and second in the Weight Throw. In the Weight Throw, Widener shattered his personal record as he threw the weight more than a meter further than his previous PR.
Freshman Noah Grimm gave himself another fantastic performance this weekend, as he finished in first place in the High Jump, clearing the bar at 2.00 meters high. This comes after Grimm broke the school record at the Vanderbilt Invitational the week before, in which he cleared the bar at 2.03 meters high.
The final event winner for the Bruins was junior Braden Carei, who cleared the bar at 4.55 meters high in the Pole Vault. This is the second Pole Vault event that he's won this season, as he won at the Vanderbilt Opener back in December.
The Bruins had their best 4x400m Relay performance of the season so far, as Belmont finished in second place. The relay team included freshman Brendan Elrod (Crossville, Tenn.), sophomore Kaden Kieffer (Dillsburg, Pa.), freshman Elijah Sheppard (Danville, Calif.), and senior Nate Nammour (Tampa, Fla.).
In the Heptathlon, junior Drake Mitchell finished fourth overall, while finishing second in the 60 Meter Hurdles Heptathlon and the Shot Put Heptathlon, and third in the 60 Meter Dash Heptathlon, the High Jump Heptathlon, and the Pole Vault Heptathlon.
Belmont's next competition will be at the MTSU Invite in Murfreesboro, Tenn. on Saturday February 2.
3. Belmont, 98
60 Meter Dash
9. Brendan Elrod, Freshman, 7.18
16. Seth Randall, Junior, 7.27
21. Elijah Sheppard, Freshman, 7.37
200 Meter Dash
6. Brendan Elrod, Freshman, 22.80
7. Seth Randall, Junior, 22.84
16. Elijah Sheppard, Freshman, 23.73
400 Meter Dash
6. Nathan Nammour, Senior, 49.45
14. Kaden Kieffer, Junior, 51.42
800 Meter Run
7. Aidan Thompson, Junior, 1:57.96
13. Taylor Vroon, Sophomore, 2:01.14
14. Wyatt Womack, Freshman, 2:02.89
17. Declan McManus, Senior, 2:04.31
1 Mile Run
3. Aidan Thompson, Junior, 4:12.15
4. Jacob McLeod, Freshman, 4:13.39
8. Christian Gonzales, Junior, 4:15.04
12. Kaleb McLeod, Junior, 4:20.39
13. Taylor Vroon, Sophomore, 4:21.22
14. Declan McManus, Senior, 4:21.54
4x400 Meter Relay
1. Noah Grimm, Freshman, 2.00m
1. Braden Carei, Junior, 4.55m
1. Cal Widener, Sophomore, 15.35m
2. Stephen Gibson, Senior, 14.95m
3. Reece Davidson, Freshman, 14.22m
2. Cal Widener, Sophomore, 16.50m PR
3. Stephen Gibson, Senior, 16.12m
6. Ryan Sheldon, Sophomore, 14.64m
7. Reece Davidson, Freshman, 13.92m
60 Meter Dash Heptathlon
3. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 7.42
1000 Meter Run Heptathlon
4. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 2:54.40
60 Meter Hurdles Heptathlon
2. Drake Mitchell, Junior 9.05
High Jump Heptathlon
3. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 1.89m
Pole Vault Heptathlon
3. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 3.45m
Long Jump Heptathlon
4. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 6.30m
Shot Put Heptathlon
2. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 11.57m
4. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 4600