BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Belmont men's indoor track and field team had their best finish at an OVC Indoor Championship as they placed third at this week's meet held at the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Alabama.
On the final day of competition Thursday, the Bruins earned six medals and posted 17 top-10 finishes to finish in third place with 103 points, just one point behind second-place Eastern Illinois. Eastern Kentucky won the team title with 128 total points.
"Insane is the only way I can describe how our squads went out and performed this week," said Cameron Harvey, Belmont's Associate Head Track Coach. "Almost every athlete that went out there PR'd or had a season best. Plus having both teams post their highest finishes all time is huge going into the outdoor season. It was just great seeing all the energy coming from the team."
Junior Drake Mitchell led the team on Thursday with one medal and two top-10s. He placed third in the heptathlon with 4,602 points, finished fourth in the triple jump, and was seventh in the high jump. His mark of 13.70 meters in the triple jump was a school record. Overall, he competed in 10 events over the two-day meet.
Senior Nate Nammour finished in third in the 400 meters with a school-record time of 48.09 seconds. He was also a part of the 4x400-meter relay team (Elijah Sheppard, Kaden Kieffer, and Brendan Elrod) that finished second with a time of 3:17.73.
Sophomore Hayden Stover overcame weeks of injuries to earn a bronze medal in the 60 meters with a time of 6.96.
Three Bruins finished among the top-10 in the 300 meters. Freshman Jacob McLeod earned silver medal honors with a time of 8:25.02. Junior Aidan Thompson finished sixth, while junior Kaleb McLeod was one spot behind in seventh.
Thompson earned bronze medal honors in the mile run with a time of 4:13.04, while teammate Dec McManus placed 10th.
The Bruins will have a few weeks off before starting their outdoor season on March 22-23 at Vanderbilt's Black and Gold Invitational here in Nashville.
OVC INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS
1. Eastern Kentucky, 128
2. Eastern Illinois, 104
3. Belmont, 103
4. SE Missouri, 100
5. Tennessee State, 98
6. SIU Edwardsville, 65
7. UT Martin, 61
3. Drake Mitchell, jr., 4,602 points
(60H: 8.92, 3rd; PV: 3.65m, t-2nd; 1000m: 3:13.46, 6th)
3. Hayden Stover, so., 6.96*
3. Nate Nammour, sr., 48.09*^
7. Brendan Elrod, fr., 49.28
4. Christian Gonzales, jr., 1:54.89
3. Aidan Thompson, jr., 4:13.04
10. Declan McManus, sr., 4:23.16
2. Jacob McLeod, fr., 8:25.02
6. Aidan Thompson, jr., 8:32.11
7. Kaleb McLeod, jr., 8:32.17
11. Taylor Vroon, so., 8:44.20
4. Stephen Gibson, sr., 15.94m (52-3.25)
7. Reece Davidson, fr., 14.65m (48-0.75)
14. Ryan Sheldon, so., 13.09m (42-11.5)*
4. Drake Mitchell, jr., 13.70m (44-11.5)*^
4. Noah Grimm, fr., 1.97m (6-5.5)
7. Drake Mitchell, jr., 1.92m (6-3.5)