ATLANTA, Ga. – The Belmont men's track and field team put up a handful of personal-record times and were oh so close to several more at the Georgia Tech Invitational on Friday.
Junior Ben Weisel (Nashville, Tenn.) led the way with a fourth-place finish in the 1,500 meters in 3:48.23. That was just 0.06 seconds off his career best, set this same weekend three years ago as a freshman. Junior Christian Gonzales (Orinda, Calif.) was 14th in the event in 3:55.64, just 0.02 seconds off his own PR that he set three weeks ago.
In the 5,000 meters, senior Luke Evans (Columbus, Ohio) was Belmont's top finisher in 11th place in 14:55.79. Just one second behind him was sophomore Taylor Vroon (Brentwood, Tenn.), who set a PR by 35 seconds to finish in 14:56.79. Taylor's twin, Jackson Vroon, ran a personal-best 15:15.65 to take 19th.
Junior Drake Mitchell (Nashville, Tenn.) also had a top-10 finish. He jumped 6.57 meters (21-6.75) in the long jump to take seventh.
In the 100 meters, sophomore Hayden Stover (Brentwood, Tenn.) was Belmont's top finisher in 11.15 seconds to earn 13th place. Junior Seth Randall (Crossville, Tenn.) wasn't far behind in 16th in 11.21.
The Georgia Tech Invitational concludes Saturday in Atlanta.
GOERGIA TECH INVITATIONAL
13. Hayden Stover, so. – 11.15
16. Seth Randall, jr. – 11.21
4. Ben Weisel, jr. – 3:48.23 (.06 off PR he set 3 years ago)
14. Christian Gonzales, jr. – 3:55.64 (.02 off PR from 3 weeks ago)
11. Luke Evans, sr. – 14:55.79
12. Taylor Vroon, so. – 14:56.79* (by 35 seconds)
19. Jackson Vroon, so. – 15:15.65*
6. Stephen Gibson, sr. – 55.92m (183-5)
7. Ryan Sheldon, so. – 48.52m (159-2)
-- Braden Carei, jr. – NH
7. Drake Mitchell, jr. – 6.57m (21-6.75)