LEBANON, Tenn. – After seeing their win streak end on Thursday, the Belmont women's tennis rebounded and beat Cumberland (Tenn.) 6-1 in a non-conference road match played Friday afternoon in Lebanon, Tennessee.
Belmont earned the doubles point as they swept all three matches. At one, the freshman duo of Erin Allen and Drew Hawkins beat Ainhoe Garrido and Marianela Landi 6-4. Then at position two, fellow freshmen Maria Plaksina and Terra Sheldon defeated Jasmine Shankar and Ana Maria Collazos 6-2. Finally, at three, junior Mical Johnson and freshman Sarah Brackin beat Stefanie Navaratnam and Belen Yanez 6-2.
In singles, the Bruins continued their solid play as they took five of the six matches to clinch the match victory over the Phoenix. At number two, Hawkins swept Landi 6-0, 6-2. Then at three, Allen defeated Yanez 6-3, 6-2. Sheldon won at number four over Shankar in three sets: 6-2, 2-6, 7-6. At number five, Brackin won by retirement over Collazos, while at six, freshman Nikki Christiansen beat Navaratnam 6-1, 6-0.
The women's tennis team is back in action next Friday as they open OVC play at Murray State.
Belmont 6, Cumberland (Tenn.) 1
1. Ainhoe Garrido (CU) def. Maria Plaksina (BELW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Drew Hawkins (BELW) def. Marianela Landi (CU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Erin Allen (BELW) def. Belen Yanez (CU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Terra Sheldon (BELW) def. Jasmine Shankar (CU) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Sarah Brackin (BELW) def. Ana Maria Collazos (CU) 6-7, retired
6. Nikki Christiansen (BELW) def. Stefanie Navaratnam (CU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Erin Allen/Drew Hawkins (BELW) def. Ainhoe Garrido/Marianela Landi (CU) 6-4
2. Maria Plaksina/Terra Sheldon (BELW) def. Jasmine Shankar/Ana Maria Collazos (CU) 6-2
3. Mical Johnson/Sarah Brackin (BELW) def. Stefanie Navaratnam/Belen Yanez (CU) 6-2
Cumberland (Tenn.) 5-7