BIRMINGHAM, Ala.– The Belmont women's tennis team lost 6-1 against Samford University in the first road match this season Friday evening in Birmingham, Alabama.
After a long battle, Belmont lost the doubles point. At one, the duo of Peyton Lee and Drew Hawkins lost 4-6 against Natalia De Ugarte and Elsa Pool, at position two, the team of Erin Allen and Mical Johnson were defeated, 0-6, by Grace Jennings and Mary Kathrine Lewis. After a tie breaking set, sophomore duo Sarah Brackin and Terra Sheldon defeated Holly Horsfall and India Ampaw 7-6.
Belmont fell 1-5 in singles play winning the No. 4 spot. Brackin defeated Arianna Beltrame 6-2, 6-3. Both Hawkins, Carelli and Allen's matches went into a third set, which they ultimately lost.
The women's tennis team is back in action Saturday Morning as they face the University of Alabama-Birmingham at 12:00 pm CT.
1. Grace Jennings (SAM-W) def. Drew Hawkins (BELW) 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
2. Natalia De Ugarte (SAM-W) def. Peyton Lee (BELW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Elsa Pool (SAM-W) def. Erin Allen (BELW) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
4. Sarah Brackin (BELW) def. Arianna Beltrame (SAM-W) 6-2, 6-3
5. Holly Horsfall (SAM-W) def. Terra Sheldon (BELW) 6-1, 6-4
6. Mary Kathrine Lewis (SAM-W) def. Lauren Carelli (BELW) 3-6 ,6-4, 7-10
Samford Women's Tennis 1-0