NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont women's tennis team lost a hard fought match to Chattanooga 5-2 Saturday night at Centennial Sportsplex in Nashville.
The visiting Mocs took the doubles point winning at positions one and two. At one, Emma Van Hee and Delaney Edwards beat Drew Hawkins and Peyton Lee 6-3. Then at two, Annie Tarwater and Lily Holmes defeated Erin Allen and Lauren Carelli 6-1. The match at #3 was not finished since the doubles point had been determined.
In singles, the Bruins fought back early and tied the match at one as freshman Peyton Lee won in straight sets at #3 over Delaney Edwards 7-5, 6-1. The Mocs responded by winning four of the last five matches, including three set wins at #1 and #2 to clinch the match victory. The lone Belmont win down the stretch was at the fifth position as sophomore Maria Plaksina won by retirement over Lily Holmes.
The women's tennis team (3-4) is back in action next Saturday night, February 16th as they host IUPUI at 5:00pm at the Ensworth HS Tennis Center.
Chattanooga 5, Belmont 2
1. Bogdona Zaporozhets (UTC) def. Drew Hawkins (BELW) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Polina Goloputova (UTC) def. Erin Allen (BELW) 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 7-5
3. Peyton Lee (BELW) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC) 7-5, 6-1
4. Caroline Hall (UTC) def. Sarah Brackin (BELW) 6-3, 6-2
5. Maria Plaksina (BELW) def. Lily Holmes (UTC) 2-6, 3-3, retired
6. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Terra Sheldon (BELW) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,4,1,2,5,6)