NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont women's tennis team picked up their second straight win as they defeated Dayton 4-0 in a match played indoors on Thursday at the Nashboro Village Club in Nashville.
Belmont took the early 1-0 lead as they took two of the three doubles matches. At one, sophomore Drew Hawkins and freshman Peyton Lee defeated Emily Zargham and Kelly Pleiman 6-3. Then at three, sophomores Maria Plaksina and Terra Sheldon beat Kristina Benjamin and Mary Brascia 6-2.
In singles, the Bruins posted victories at the first three positions to clinch the 4-0 sweep of the Flyers. Hawkins won at number one over Mattea Kilstofe 6-3, 7-5. Then Lee won at two over Zargham 6-2, 6-0. Sophomore Erin Allen clinched the win for BU with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Pleiman.
The three remaining singles matches were unfinished since the match result had been determined.
"Today was a good win for us," said Mauricio Antun, Belmont's Director of Tennis. "We played this team last year and it was a very close match. To be able to win without losing a set gives us a lot of confidence going into conference play. We are heading in the right direction and I am excited to see these where this team can go.
The women's tennis team (7-5) returns to the court on Sunday, March 24 as they open OVC play by hosting Murray State at 1:00pm at Centennial Sportsplex.
Belmont 4, Dayton 0
1. Drew Hawkins (BELW) def. Mattea Kilstofe (UD) 6-3, 7-5
2. Peyton Lee (BELW) def. Emily Zargham (UD) 6-2, 6-0
3. Erin Allen (BELW) def. Kelly Pleiman (UD) 6-2, 6-1
4. Terra Sheldon (BELW) vs. Zoe Woods (UD) 6-2, 6-5, unfinished
5. Lauren Carelli (BELW) vs. Natalie Allen (UD) 2-2, unfinished
6. Sarah Brackin (BELW) vs. Mary Brascia (UD) unfinished