NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont women's tennis team fell to Jacksonville State 4-3 in a hard fought match held indoors on Friday at the Ensworth Tennis Center in Nashville.
The Gamecocks took the early 1-0 lead as they won two of the three doubles matches at positions two and three. At two, Harriet Hamilton and Elena Tendero beat Drew Hawkins and Lauren Carelli 6-3. Then at three, Cristina Moll Alles and Balsen Kaya defeated Maria Plasksina and Terra Sheldon 6-4. The match at number one was unfinished.
In singles, Belmont stormed back winning three of the next four matches. At five, Sheldon beat Tendero 6-2, 6-1. Then at one, Hawkins defeated Hamilton 6-4, 6-3. Freshman Peyton Lee made it three wins for BU as she swept Alessia Locati 6-2, 6-2.
However, the Gamecocks clinched the 4-3 victory as they earned wins at positions three and six. Sophomore Erin Allen lost in three sets to Malin Buechner, fellow sophomore Sarah Brackin fell to Cristina Moll Alles 6-4, 6-2.
The women's tennis team (12-7, 5-2) wraps up their regular season as they play at Austin Peay tomorrow at 2:00pm in Clarksville.
Jacksonville State 4, Belmont 3
1. Drew Hawkins (BELW) def. HAMILTON, Harriet (JSUW) 6-4, 6-3
2. Peyton Lee (BELW) def. LOCATI, Alessia (JSUW) 6-2, 6-2
3. BUECHNER, Malin (JSUW) def. Erin Allen (BELW) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3
4. CONEJERO, Alba (JSUW) def. Maria Plaksina (BELW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Terra Sheldon (BELW) def. TENDERO, Elena (JSUW) 6-2, 6-1
6. MOLL ALLES, Cristina (JSUW) def. Sarah Brackin (BELW) 6-4, 6-2
Jacksonville State 13-3, 6-1
Belmont 12-7, 5-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,4,1,2,3,6)