NASHVILLE, Tenn. - - Belmont University women's tennis fell to Southeast Missouri, 4-1, Friday in the first round of the 2019 OVC Tennis Championships from Centennial Sportsplex.
The Bruins, who earned the No. 4 tournament seed and defeated the Redhawks earlier this season, got off to a positive start.
A 6-3 victory at second doubles from sophomore Drew Hawkins (Chattanooga, Tenn.) and freshman Lauren Carelli (Chattanooga, Tenn.) was quickly followed by a 6-4 victory at first doubles from freshman Peyton Lee (Marietta, Ga.) and sophomore Erin Allen (Knoxville, Tenn.) to give the Bruins the doubles' point.
But from there, momentum in singles proved difficult.
Despite an opening set win from sophomore Terra Sheldon (Bowling Green, Ky.), the Bruins dug themselves an early deficit they could not overcome.
Southeast Missouri claimed four straight singles' victories to claim the match and advance to the semifinal round.
Belmont ends a highly successful season, one which saw the most team victories since 2004.
2019 OVC Tennis Championships - First Round
Southeast Missouri 4, Belmont 1
1. Romana Tarajova (SEMO) def. Peyton Lee (BELW) 6-4, 6-4
2. Kseniya Zonova (SEMO) def. Drew Hawkins (BELW) 6-2, 6-1
3. Erin Allen (BELW) vs. Isabella Krupa (SEMO) 6-7, 1-4, unfinished
4. Teona Velkoska (SEMO) def. Maria Plaksina (BELW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Sneha Sinha (SEMO) def. Terra Sheldon (BELW) 0-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Sarah Brackin (BELW) vs. Manuela Barriga (SEMO) 6-7, 1-1, unfinished