BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – There was continued success Saturday for the Belmont University women's distance runners and some retribution found for the sprinters as the Bruins closed out the Samford Invitational at the Birmingham CrossPlex.
The Bruins placed three runners in the top five of the 3,000 meters and two in that elite category in the mile. Meanwhile, the team's short-distance runners chewed up the track for a second-place finish in the 1,600-meter relay.
Before helping the relay team to a 3:57.89 by handling the opening leg of the race, freshman Payton Barlow (White House, Tenn.) also placed fourth in the 400 meters in 58.54.
"I asked the sprinters to come out with more focus and a better mindset and they delivered," Associate Head Track and Field Coach Cameron Harvey said. "This weekend was a definite improvement from Vandy."
The distance crew carried over their success from last week's Commodore Invitational. Senior Kiera Weems (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) took second in the mile in 5:04.44 with freshman Ali White (Southlake, Texas) running to fifth in a personal-best 5:08.76. Senior Jessica King (Fishers, Ind.) earned silver in the 3,000 in 10:17.67 with sophomores Kortney Schardt (Lindenhurst, Ill.) and Sierra Lax (Columbus, Ind.) taking third and fifth, respectively. Lax's time of 10:25.36 was a PR as well.
Senior profile: Thrower Alyssa Andersen may never have set a Belmont school record if it wasn't for her twin brother Cory's persistence.https://t.co/3dQxE4gZjO@GoBelmontBruins #ItsBruinTime pic.twitter.com/k1hCSxmmEk— Belmont Runners (@BelmontXCTF) January 16, 2018
The success wasn't all on the track. Senior Alyssa Andersen (Oswego, Ill.) added a fifth-place throw of 16.30 meters (53-5.75) in the weight.
"The season is starting to take shape and I'm glad to see that we are going in the right direction," Harvey said. "We have two weeks until our next meet and we'll definitely be taking advantage of the extra time on the track."
Belmont won't compete again this month. Part of the team will hit the track at Notre Dame's Meyo Invitational on Feb. 2-3, while the rest sticks closer to home at the Middle Tennessee State Invite in Murfreesboro.
BELMONT WOMEN'S RESULTS
5. Alyssa Andersen, sr. — 16.30m (53-5.75)
13. Kelsey Kay Herring, fr. — 4.62m (15-2)
8. Karly Hibbard, jr. — 11.91m (39-1)
12. Alyssa Andersen, sr. — 10.78m (35-4.5)
12. Caroline Pruitt, fr. — 9.40
26. Kelsey Kay Herring, fr. — 10.44*
2. Kiera Weems, sr. — 5:04.44
5. Ali White, fr. — 5:08.76*
17. Lauren Denemark, so. — 5:28.20
4. Payton Barlow, fr. — 58.54
13. Annelise Doerr, jr. — 1:00.58
23. Katrina Quigley, so. — 1:01.51
2. Jessica King, sr. — 10:17.67
3. Kortney Schardt, so. — 10:22.24
5. Sierra Lax, so. — 10:25.36*
7. Claire Cheeseman, fr. — 10:27.04*
9. Kiera Weems, sr. — 2:21.23