CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – As the storms stayed at bay, the only thunder and lightning to be found Friday at the Governors Invitational was in the form of the Belmont women's track and field team.
The quick legs of sophomore Ruth Wiggins and the powerful arm of senior Karly Hibbard highlighted a well-rounded day for the Bruins at Austin Peay University's track. Both Belmont women earned gold-medal finishes.
Wiggins (Memphis, Tenn.) ran to first place in the 800 meters in 2:14.82. That's her quickest outdoor time in the event since joining the Bruins last year via transfer from SEC Arkansas.
Hibbard (Edmonds, Wash.) picked up her first-place finish in her second-best event: the shot put. The javelin expert expanded her role Friday, throwing 13.19 meters (43-3.25) to win the shot put with her first attempt of the day.
Fellow Bruin thrower Jessica Mattsson (Tierp, Sweden), a sophomore, earned a silver in the hammer throw in 54.40m (178-6), and senior Gabrielle Yatauro (Huntington Beach, Calif.) added another silver in the 5,000 meters. Yatauro finished in 18:35.22 to just edge third-place teammate and junior Maria Brauer (Oakford, Ill.). Junior Mallory Young (Signal Mountain, Tenn.) was fifth in the event.
Sophomore Jeanette Morley (Elmhurst, Ill.) set a personal best in the high jump with a leap of 1.66 meters (5-5.25). That was good enough for third place. Fellow sophomore Caroline Pruitt (Allen, Texas) added another bronze in the 400-meter hurdles in 1:04.99; she was also fifth in the 100 hurdles.
Freshman Tyra Finkeldey (Old Saybrook, Conn.) put up a PR height in the pole vault, clearing 3.25 meters (10-8) to earn fourth place. Sophomore Payton Barlow (White House, Tenn.) added to the top-four placings with a fourth in the 400 meters in 56.78.
Next comes a full weekend of exciting track competition as a select few Bruins will head west to the Bryan Clay Invitational and Mt. SAC Relays in California next week. The rest of the team will stay closer to home and compete at the Georgia Tech Invitational.
13. Abbie Whitehurst, jr. – 12.83*
9. Payton Barlow, so. – 25.85
20. Abbie Whitehurst, jr. – 26.62
4. Payton Barlow, so. – 56.78
12. Katrina Quigley, jr. – 1:03.59
1. Ruth Wiggins, so. – 2:14.82
10. Anna Arrick, so. – 2:25.35
21. Lauren Denemark, jr. – 2:34.90
13. Lauren Denemark, fr. – 5:03.82
2. Gabrielle Yatauro, sr. – 18:35.22
3. Maria Brauer, jr. – 18:42.33
5. Mallory Young, jr. – 18:47.35
5. Caroline Pruitt, so. – 16.07
3. Caroline Pruitt, so. – 1:04.99
3. Jeanette Morley, so. – 1.66m (5-5.25)*
4. Tyra Finkeldey, fr. – 3.25m (10-8)*
8. Maeve Carei, fr. – 3.10m (10-2)*
10. Sarah Stegbauer, fr. – 30.23m (99-2)
2. Jessica Mattsson, so. – 54.40m (178-6)
1. Karly Hibbard, sr. – 13.19m (43-3.25)
6. Maja Gustafsson, so. – 10.68m (35-0.25)*